[Magdalen] Suzie and Center Aisle

Lesley de Voil lesleymdv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:04:15 UTC 2015

Our local RC cathedral had a 'modernisation' some years ago. One of
the more unfortunate results of putting the freestanding high altar in
the crossing of a Gothic building was siting the pipe organ on the
East side of the crossing ( where one would originally have expected
to see a rood screen) so that from the nave the sight of the organ
behind the altar resembled some Protestant church.
However, this monstrosity hides a gem. Behind the pipe organ, that is,
the area that originally housed the altar ( the East end), is now the
Blessed Sacrament Chapel, with Reserved Sacrament. The walls on three
sides are patterned glass panels, ceiling to floor, leading to a moat
about one foot wide and some inches deep containing water that has
flowed from a tropical clam-sized and -shaped baptismal font. The area
is doubly cool, from both the water and the faint plashing sounds.
This area  also abuts the Confessional. As one sits quietly, one can
easily feel the effect of coming through the water of rebirth after
forgiveness.  A welcome haven for private prayer.

Regards
Lesley de Voil