[Magdalen] from Bp TX on A036

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:27:57 UTC 2015

After receiving this via email I tried to confirm final decision and thought
that this resolution actually passed, so I'm trying to figure out what these
words from my bishop mean, if the resolution was actually passed  - surely
it did not include the ability to be exclusive ?  Anyone know more about
A036?
Lynn

from the dio of TX Bishop Doyle's Comments on A036 Today as of 8pm CST

The House of Bishops of the 78th General Convention meeting in Salt Lake
City, today approved resolution A036, that rewrote canons to ensure that
those who wish to bless a same-sex marriage are free from discipline if they
have permission of their bishop; allow for use of liturgies with bishop's
permission and continued language of fidelity from the previous canon.
Bishop Andy Doyle wrote the following in response:

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
I promised in the Unity and Mission paper published in 2012, that I would
not approve the rites of same-sex blessing at the 77th General Convention. I
voted no at that General Convention. Following the 2012 General Convention
we in the Diocese of Texas together moved forward allowing space for
congregations to do same-sex blessings.  We upheld and continue to uphold
the 1979 Book of Common Prayer definition of marriage. We continue to use
the blessing of same-sex relationships in the congregations who have been
approved to do so.

Today when the vote regarding A036 came forward, I prayed and I changed my
vote in my heart six times. I was conflicted because of my love for all the
people I shepherd in the Diocese. I love you all and your division is a very
real division in my own heart. In the end I made a decision that my faithful
response to the whole Diocese of Texas was that I could not vote against our
LGBT parishioners nor was I willing to vote against our traditionalist
parishioners. I discerned then that my faithful response was to abstain.
Abstentions count as a "no" vote. The vote on the canon today does not
change the definition of marriage as included in the 1979 BCP or in the
Constitution of the Episcopal Church.

The current policies governing marriage, remarriage, and same-gender
blessings in the Diocese of Texas continue in effect.

No clergy person is required by the state or by canon to perform marriages
or blessings. What is clear as of the Supreme Court Ruling is that the State
will recognize the Episcopal Church rite for same-gender blessing, approved
in 2012 and used in the Diocese of Texas, as a legally binding marriage if a
marriage license is obtained. All requirements to officiate at a blessing
and/or marriages as defined in our canons and in our policy manual remain in
effect including counseling and approvals of the bishop where applicable.

I will work to discern which liturgies will be available for use in the
Diocese of Texas. We will both follow the law and we will also discern the
appropriate course pastorally for our parishioners.

While some will be elated at this decision still others will be
disheartened. Christians are not mean and do not demean one another. My
expectation is that the people of the Diocese of Texas will model compassion
and love for one another. We are to care for one another as we take our
steps through the days and months to come.

(signed Andrew Doyle)
IX Bishop of Texas

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck