[Magdalen] Things our Fathers Loved.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 30 17:35:45 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen y 4th  sequence from his New England Symphony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8S1aGY80Us

Around the 4th of July holiday (Independence Day, USA) I dust off my
recording
of Charles Ives (arguably the greatest USA "classical" composer) songs  sung
ever so well be the late Jan DeGaetani.  One Ives song, in particular,

Two other Ives takes on July 4 are worthwhile:

The July 4th segment of Ives Holiday Symphony'

It evokes the sound of competing nearby Independence Day Parades along with
fireworks.

(The entire symphony is work a listen).

The other Ives piece is "Variations on America" originally for organ but
transcribed for both band and orchestra. Here's E Power Biggs take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZq09F9RR4

(Which I've often thought a bit slow).

Our U.K. friends might consider it "Variations on God Save the Queen" <g>.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie