[Magdalen] Things our Fathers Loved.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 30 18:18:46 UTC 2015

From: Jay Weigel

>My first husband was a fan of Charles Ives, which is enough to make me
>decidedly NOT one. I do like his "little Star of Bethlehem", however.

Ives' music teacher at Yale was Horatio Parker -- first organist of the
Cathedral of the Incarnation in Garden City (Where Jim Handsfield went to church
as a boy and where I sang in a diocesan choir as a boy as well).

He wrote my all-time favorite Easter Anthem, "Light's Glittering Morning Bedecks
the Sky."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpmYTn0XdA

The text is my J M neale, who we're all intimately familiar with given all those
popular hymns of his we sing all the time.).

1. Light’s glittering morn bedecks the sky;
Heav’n thunders forth its victor cry;
The glad earth shouts her triumph high,
And groaning hell makes wild reply.

2. While He, the King, the mighty King,
Despoiling death of all its sting,
And, trampling down the powers of night,
Brings forth His ransomed saints to light.

3. His tomb of late the threefold guard
Of watch and stone and seal had barred;
But now, in pomp and triumph high,
He comes from death to victory.

4. The pains of hell are loosed at last;
The days of mourning now are past;
An angel robed in light hath said,
The Lord is risen from the dead.

5. Th’Apostles’ hearts were full of pain
For their dear Lord so lately slain,
By rebel servants doomed to die
A death of cruel agony.

6. With gentle voice the angel gave
The women tidings at the grave;
Fear not, your Master shall ye see;
He goes before to Galilee.

7. Then, hastening on their eager way
The joyful tidings to convey,
Their Lord they met, their living Lord,
And falling at His feet adored.

8. Th’Eleven, when they hear, with speed
To Galilee forthwith proceed,
That there once more they may behold
The Lord’s dear face, as He foretold.

There are additional verses, commonly sung as a separate hymn
("That Eastertide with Joy Was Bright").