[Magdalen] Conscience's clause

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 30 20:59:37 UTC 2015

On 30/06/2015 21:17, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> The highest defacto authority in TEC is the diocese in most cases, and in
> most dioceses a great deal of that power rests with the bishop, for good or
> for ill. If one goes from one diocese to another, you will find that they
> do things in very different ways.  This is hardly a matter of evil versus
> good but a matter of responding to the local customs and needs. Every
> parish handles it a bit differently, due to the experiences and background
> of the people involved.

I recall a diocesan synod when I happened to be sitting next to the
Prolocutor of the Canterbury Convocation.  The post title suggests the
role - he was the one to speak on behalf of the clergy in the Province
of Canterbiry - the majority of the Church ofg England.  As such he was
part of the inner councils of the Church.  He commented that we do noit
have a Church so much as 43 feudal monarchies - a slight exaggeration
but you get the drift.

Like me Martin has served in a number of C/E dioceses but perhaps not
been as close to or observant of how the wheels of power turn. The
dioceses, and the parishes within them, each have their own dynamic (or
stasis in some cases) according to local circumstances. Sometimes
direction of organization happens from the centre, but it is not always
effective such as wehen a new deanery is formed and the best place for
them to meet is outside the diocese because of the topography.

It will be interesting to see how our newest diocese (which does not yet
have a diocesan synod) of West Yorkshire and the Dales evolves from the
three dioceses of which it is largely formed.  Suffice it to say that
the word is that the next time they do a diocesan reorganization they
will have a different approach having learnt from their mistakes this time.

The Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral wisely, in my view, left how the
historic episcopate (and I would argue by implication the whole question
of Church organization) continues was left in the hands of the local Church.

Roger

Roger