[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the National Cathedral.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:19:08 UTC 2015

​
On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Sally Davies <sally.davies at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> It is history and when displayed in such a way, serves to commemorate that
> which was honorable and brave, not that which was dishonourable.

​No, it commemorates what is illustrated.  You can use terms such as
honorable, but in the case of the CSA Battle Flag and generals in the CSA
rebellious military, it also commemorates something utterly vile and
horrible.

As I have said elsewhere, there are different folks who will come to the
National Cathedral, and these symbols will means very different things to
them.  The National Cathedral is not an educational institution. It is a
house of prayer for all people.

Only if the people can look and not feel that they are in any way
subordinate can we rest from the task.

Southerners take pride in the CSA Battle Flag and the CSA generals?  Well,
that is not for me to judge, but on the other hand, it is also not for me
to encourage such an unacceptable line of thinking.  They will obviously
think what they are going to think, but I refuse to play a part in
encouraging it.

We must also remember that a huge portion (13.2%) of the population of the
USA consists of African-American citizens.
<http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html> What do you think
their reaction will be when they come to the National Cathedral and see a
window glorifying the cause which actively and passionately fought to keep
them from having any freedom at all?

Only when we find a way to address these sides together in a fair manner do
we stand a chance of any real healing the long-standing and deep running
sores that continue hurting this nation.
​

> Glorifying a sick past is one thing, but allowing it to be forgotten is
> another...we clearly need to have an informed discussion in this country
> (South Africa) about public art, and some of these statues do need to be
> moved (not destroyed), but it must be a well considered and respectful
> process, with clarity about what kinds of public art we actually want to
> see, and about commemoration of history - everyone's history, not just the
> "victors" as it were.

​The Smithsonian has whole buildings that teach about the history in ways
far superior to panes of stained glass.​

​What might Jesus say:​

"​It is written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer,' but you have
made it an educational institution."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford