[Magdalen] A Note Re CofE and TEC History

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 30 21:33:51 UTC 2015

On 30/06/2015 17:52,t Zephonites--- via Magdalen wrote:
> Jim
>
> Thank you your mail was of great interest.
>
> I agree that it does seem that we (by which I mean TEC and the CofE) while
> being in communion are substantially different in many ways.

I agree that Jon's post was informative and helpful.  One particular
difference is the matter of parish boundaries.  There is a website
www.acny.org.uk where you can identify where you live and hence what
parish you are in.  The (not quite accurate) saying is that every blade
of grass is in a C/E parish.  It's not quite accurate because there are
peculiars and extra-parochial places but the principle generally holds
true.

My impression is that that is not the case in the US where churches tend
to be more eclectic, as many are in English towns where there are
churches of different traditions and styles to choose from.  I believe
that things like the rector's stipend is (subject to a diocesan minimum)
determined by the local church whereas in the C/E the diocese determines
the diocesan stipend.

Selection of the rector is also *very* different with search committees
and election by the vestry (church council) and the process for electing
a bishop is much more transparent in the US than in England.

Roger

Roger