[Magdalen] Kaddish [was Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Mar 1 21:20:27 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/1/2015 3:57:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

morning  recitation of the Lord's Prayer (yes, we used to
recite at the beginning of  the school day in the public schools).>>>>>

I hear of this sort of thing from time to time.  All I can say is  that
in the schools of NW Wisconsin in the 40's-50's, there was not the
slightest hint of sectarianism.  This includes absolutely no  praying
of any kind/faith.

I thought this was a general rule in the public schools of the Upper
Midwest USA, but every time I make such a statement, someone comes
out of the woodwork and refutes it.  So I will only say in the schools  of
my home area non-sectarianism was the rule.

IMHO this ought to be a general USA rule, but then I've had people
claim that I'm anti-prayer making such a statement.

I've been accused of being anti-prayer right here in river city, PA.

When I recognized an increasingly long typical Methodist  "Pastoral
Prayer" (10 minutes+!) in the local TEC at the beginning of each
sermon, I suggested the priest put those prayer concerns in "The  Prayers of
the People", and free up some more time for preaching at which he
was quite good.

The Pastoral Prayers ceased, but he spread the rumor that I was
"anti-prayer" in the parish.

If I'd wanted lengthy Pastoral Prayers, I would have remained a  Methodist!

David Strang.