[Magdalen] whose theology is this?

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:56:26 UTC 2015

Our supply clergy this morning was from another diocese...a very liberal
diocese....but I don't think this is liberal thought.  He taught Adult CE
and preached.

His premise this morning, among other things was that 'we really cannot
change the world.  We do not need to concern ourselves with the world
beyond our neighborhood.  Rather than give money to support ministries like
ERD, we should simply walk across the street and meet the need of our
neighbor.  (His example was giving money to a particular person in a 3rd
world country, rather than my ERD example, but the point is the same.)  He
went on to declare that from a theological perspective, we do not need to
concern ourselves with politics...or even care about politics because we
cannot make a difference or change the world.  It was a one way
street...meet the need before you and ignore/don't care about anything
beyond.

I behaved badly.  He spoke down to us as of we were the Episcopal bumpkins
in SC and I called him on it.  Now I'm having a major shame attack, even
though more than a few people thanked me....that has just made it worse
because my behavior was so similar to how nack in the mid 2000s, I
confronted the the teaching of the ultra conservative priests at St.
Paul's.  I'm not sure this makes any sense and I am still upset.

So, what think the theological gurus in the pub (all of us) about this
theology??

Thanks,
Ginga