[Magdalen] whose theology is this?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 1 22:48:47 UTC 2015

The election season here in the UK is starting to heat up.  The official
season is longer than normal at 6 weeks and kicks off towards the end of
this month. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is prepared to
call it at this stage because of increasing support for minor parties
and general disillusionment with politicians.  Anyway, as happens when
you heat any liquid Brownian motion increases and you get all sorts of
strange eddies and bubbles forming.  The difference this year is that
the "vessel" has become distorted and so the motion is more erratic than
normal.

Both the RC and the C/E bishops have issued pre-election statements and
The Tablet (an RC weekly for the thinking Christian) has castigated the
RC hierarchy for not speaking as plainly as their Anglican brethren
have.  Neither group has said "vote for X" but they have said "vote, but
here are things you should consider when deciding who to vote for".  The
Tablet article draws attention to the way that Christian thinking
(across the mainstream spectrum, including Evangelicals) has coalesced
around Catholic Social Teaching. This focuses on the need to get the
structures right so as to minimise the need to care for the individual.
It addresses the structures of sin that are found in modern society,
those aspects of the way society works that marginalize and dehumanize
some of our fellow citizens.

Moving beyond that to the international scene we need to recognize that
trade practices can have a detrimental effect on societies in other
parts of the world.  Yes, there is genuine need in each of our own areas
and (much as my own government would like to deny it) that need is
growing here, as is evidenced by the rapid increase in the number of
families turning to food banks for emergency rations - something that
was basically unknown a decade ago in this country.  The only way to
effectively counter this domestic and international inequality is to
address its systemic causes, which needs political (issue-based rather
than party political) action.  Where emergency aid is required then that
needs to be coordinated as well.  I recall some stanchions along
Virginia Beach which looked like parking meters.  Signs on them pointed
out that there are pan-handlers around but more effective, and more
equitable, help for the needy is provided through organizations
dedicated to that end.  Money put in those collection boxes would go to
that end.

Roger