[Magdalen] FB this morning, possibly TMI

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:08:06 UTC 2015

I watched the opening service online a couple of weeks ago, and I had a similar reaction, though I'm trying to reserve judgment till I see it later this week. A hopeful note was that one f the speakers said there were still pieces to be put in place, including some hangings and the organ. There was a post on FB over the weekend of the Oratory which contains the four stained glass windows saved from the old chapel.  Still appears rather sterile.
But after my experience yesterday at Little Fork Church--a true colonial church--I made a connection to the VTS chapel. It's very plain with clear windows, much more consistent with other VTS architecture and definitely "Virginia low church" in appearance.

Now, realizing that this is not just a seminary for Virginia, I'm not saying low church design is necessarily a good thing, just that I saw a historical connection yesterday.

Another thing that struck me yesterday--and it was certainly indicative of the earlier history of TEC--was the relative size and placements of the pulpit and altar.  Clearly the Word had pride of place and was central. The altar space almost looked like an afterthought. Of course, the altar would originally have been against the wall, but either way, the space enclosed by the rail is minuscule. Two people can be in there at one time, but that's all, which makes for some interesting in and out choreography of the various players. The rail is big enough for eleven people at most: three on each side and four or five across the front.

There is no running water, so the "lavabo" is done with hand sanitizer in the pew box nearest the altar space! That's also where the deacon and acolyte sit during the administration of communion.

At any rate, I am anxious to see the new VTS space and see what it feels like to worship there.