[Magdalen] Cowboy pizza.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:49:38 UTC 2015

D Strang
> Regarding pizza of any stripe, it was unknown outside of ethnic
> neighborhoods
> in large cities in the Upper Midwest. Pizza was foreign to those
> predominantly
> North European immigrants and their progeny.  It wasn't until the  advent
> of
> frozen pizza in the 1960's that pizza finally penetrated the frozen
> North.

I grew up in northern burbs of Detroit.  There was a small Italian joint -
Casa Mia nearby and they had Italian food but AMAZING pizza in the '50s-'70s
when I think the original owners retired and by then the pizza chains had
come in and perhaps their kids did not want to continue the family biz.
Other wonderful Italian restaurants in the downtown area as well... notably
Roma Café (my parent's fave).

I think it may have been mostly first generation immigrants that started the
restaurants, and the assimilation of their more successful progeny made them
shy away from 'restaurant' work/ownership, unless it had become a big-a
deal-a!

Lynn, just sayin' and typin' when I should be doing other things today!

My email has changed to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck