[Magdalen] Cowboy pizza.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Mar 10 01:46:43 UTC 2015

In a message -

Boy,  those rabbits
> have
> > had a good feed.  My own idleness  that I didn't put up the chicken
wire,
> > BUT!  The Tiger-eye  Sumac is reduced to a gnawed-bare pile of sticks,
> > golden barbery  is but a stump.  The golden cedar formerly of good
height
>  is
> > now a grotesque lollypop with piles of branches lying  about.  The
> spiraea,
> > as always, has lost its skirts  entirely.  Viburnum 'Judd' has been
> > levelled.  And so  it goes -- and no one to blame but myself.  Hard to
> > impress  potential buyers!>>>>

Here in Pennsylvania, it's the White-tailed Deer.  There are seemingly  few
rabbits (I had those by the ton in Wisconsin).  Deer will eat anything  when
hungry, and that usually happens with deep snow.  I don't see gross  damage
from animals, yet.  I am worried about so many of my exotic shrubs  and
trees that are of borderline hardiness, however.

There's been nothing like the -24 F we had here about 1989, but even
so, there will probably be damage.

Incidentally, the deer love members of the "cedar" family (more  accurately
Thuja genus), but they don't touch Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata).   If
you like this group, it would be the one to plant.  It does get  big...very
big.

David Strang.