[Magdalen] Great octopus tonight!

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 22:08:56 UTC 2015

When the late ex and I were at the beach in SC one year, we were walking on
the pier one night and encountered a fisherman who had caught a small
octopus. Several people had gathered around him, watching with interest as
he attempted to remove it from his line and hook, and we joined them. No
sooner would he get one tentacle unwound than all the others would latch on
more determinedly. Finally he took out a Swiss army knife, cut the line
loose as close to the creature as possible, and threw the whole thing back
in the water, saying, "All right, YOU figure it out!!" I have no doubt the
little guy did.