[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 04:41:07 UTC 2015

A little liturgical fun -

There's been a discussion on the Anglican Music List about how the
Psalm should be sung in the context of the Eucharist.

There's no dispute that the location of the Psalm is between the OTL
and the Epistle in the Eucharist.

The dispute is about how the Psalm should be sung (or even not sung
but said).  Should it be via Anglican chant and if so, should it be  the
choir singing or should the entire congregation sing Anglican chant?

Should the Psalm - either plainchant or composed setting - be sung
by a choir/cantor with a congregational antiphon ("Responsorial  Psalm")?

Should the cantor/choir sing the Psalm via whatever method chosen
through and through without congregational response?

Should paraphrase congregational hymn settings of the Psalms be
allowed occasionally?

I responded to this discussion at a completely different level, by  stating
what I have learned through the decades from the experts (I do not  include
myself as an "expert!").  My response was that there is no  historical
tradition for the Psalm in the context of the Eucharist to be of/for  the
assembly/congregation at all.  The Eucharistic Psalm is traditionally
of/for
the contribution of cantor/choir.

Therefore the use of either the responsorial method, or the through  and
through cantor/choir alone, are the most historically accurate.

The confusion stems from the tradition that Psalms in the Offices  (Morning
Prayer/Evensong) ARE of/for the assembly/congregation.  With the  almost
complete disappearance of Anglican Choral Morning Prayer, and the
infrequent appearance of Evensong (which is now almost always a  choral
extravaganza, ironically), the traditional use of Psalms in the Liturgies
has
been overlooked/forgotten.

What's the consensus here?

David Strang.