[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 14:23:48 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/13/2015 8:17:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

I  think of the Sanctus as the Great Rehearsal. Taking it away from
the  congregation and handing it to a paid choir? Feh  !
-M>>>>

This is one of those areas that my late friend, Mason Martens would
describe as "double-talk".  The RCC wanted to free up the  Ordinary
including the Sanctus (now referred to in Rome as the  "Holy-Holy-Holy")
for their rightful designation of/for the congregation/assembly.

At the same time, Rome has always held up classical polyphony
(unaccompanied choral) as the "ideal" for the RC Ordinary.  Rome
since Vatican-2 has also encouraged much singing of hymns for
the congregation, but again has always held out that the plainsong
Proper was ideal for worship.

The two positions are 180 degrees apart.

Anglican high church liturgies somehow successfully put together
congregational hymns, some sung Ordinary (such as at Scott K's
Ascension where the Gloria is sung, and the rest of the Ordinary is
for the professional choir).

It almost seems that Rome is too proud to adopt the Anglican format
that has its cake and eats it too.  The congregation sings some of  the
Ordinary and lots of hymns.  The choir sings/chants the entire  Proper
in plainchant, and much of the Ordinary plus motets in classical  polyphony.

There's enough singing for everyone.

David Strang.