[Magdalen] RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:03:58 UTC 2015

There seem to be very strong movements in both areas, for expansion of
hospice type care and the opportunity for death with dignity.

People want to have the final say over stuff.  Medical folks keep trying to
say they know best, and many times, obviously, they do, but in many cases,
it's not a question of what is best, but what is best, based on the
patient's priorities.  Human care-giving is the most difficult when we know
what the patient ought to want, and the patient is saying, "No, that's not
where my priorities are."

It wasn't really so long ago when the professionals would say, "We are the
experts, and this treatment is needed. If the patient doesn't want it, well
strap 'em to the bed and get on with it."

The right to refuse treatment has been steadily more recognized.  I noted
that many a social worker really earned their pay when they worked with the
patient, respecting their position, and gradually helping them work through
their concerns until they were finally able to genuinely see that the
recommended treatment was really the best course. and it was done with the
patient's concerns recognized, and their rights not arbitrarily dispensed
with.  When we were able to make that happen, I think we all went home a
bit more happy with what we were doing.

Getting to the point of having professionals accept the simple truth that
sometimes death is the best course is hard. We've always thought our jobs
were to enhance life, not take it away.  It wasn't too long ago that most
people, when they got sick, simply died relatively quickly.  Science has
given many the gift of a second chance at life, and none of us want to see
that go away; but there are now times, thanks to the miracles of modern
medicine, when horrific life is being prolonged, and we need to face the
need to end life. It is a truth that is hard for some to accept, but I
believe we're making real progress.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford