[Magdalen] Prayer request

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 20:10:18 UTC 2015

We can be our own worst critic.

>From what you write, it is transparently obvious that you are doing
extremely good work in one of the toughest tasks of all -- losing weight.
And I bet that just as soon as you read that all those little "Yes-BUT"
voices jumped up to stop and cancel out this positive note.

And you're doing well.  I mean, look, being where you are, just being
there, is hard work, and you probably aren't sure just how you ought to go
about it.  So, even though we have not met, and I know nothing of what you
actually are going through, I can write what I wrote and KNOW that it's not
a cliche.

But just in case you forgot, that's not what it's about.  Because it's not
about being the best we can be or doing it well enough or whatever.  I
don't really buy into a lot of what one may find in scripture, but one
thing I think is worth at least giving serious consideration is the
affirmation that nothing you or anyone can do can possibly ever make God
stop loving you.  That is so off-the-hook absurd that it must surely be
true.  And wasn't that really what Jesus was trying to get at all along?

It's not about writing off the bad people, because Jesus forgave the man
who had just driven nails through his hands and feet.  If that's made up,
it's made up because the Spirit put into the writer's heart to write it,
and such a thing is true.

So if you are feeling a bit inadequate (<snort!> Aren't we all...),
remember that if you are, actually in truth, terribly, horribly inadequate
-- hey, it's still okay! And nothing can take that "okay" away, although
you can forget it from time to time (Don't we all...).

I do not know if this is the darkness John of the Cross talks of.  We
certainly have times when we just seem icky.  We forget we really truly are
okay, but we still are.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford