[Magdalen] RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:36:21 UTC 2015

I have known several people, among them my father, who waited until family
were all out of the room before they died. Or perhaps all family except
their spouse or closest family member. This has even occurred when the
person was for all intents and purposes comatose.

My mother, on the other hand, departed in a different manner. She had
caught a respiratory bug that had been making the rounds, and because we'd
elected not to have her hospitalized, she was being given oral antibiotics
at home. She wasn't getting better and we knew it was probably the end. The
sitter called my daughter, and she and her husband came over. Mom was
tucked up in her bed and Betsy and Jonathan prayed with her and then he
left the room. Betsy found some swing music on the radio and she said Mom
smiled and closed her eyes. Betsy laid her head down on the bed next to
Mom's and she said Mom just gradually stopped breathing, but she didn't
stop smiling until she was gone. I suspect my dad had come to get her.