[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 16:34:41 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Ferdinand von Prondzynski
<F.von-Prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk> wrote:
> I wonder what you mean by that, Jim. Plainchant isn’t for everyone or for
> all occasions, but it is a hugely important part of our liturgical
> heritage. Nor is it useless to this generation. Just yesterday I heard a
> very impressive use of plainchant by a modern rock band in one of their
> songs.

Hello, Ferdinand!

Seems to me also that plainchant is well used by very amateur singers:
monks and nuns. It's meant to be easy to apply to many liturgical
texts without lots of rehearsal. That seems rather participatory and
welcoming to me, not obscure nor out of date.

And if it seems strange at first or requires a bit of listening and
following along before being able to participate, so do the spoken
bits of liturgy require a bit of observation on the part of a
newcomer. People can and do learn, and plainchant's learning curve is
not long, especially with good leadership by a cantor, choir, and/or
organist (with a light touch).

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA