[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 17:08:54 UTC 2015

In a message dated 3/14/2015 12:35:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

Seems to  me also that plainchant is well used by very amateur singers:
monks and  nuns. It's meant to be easy to apply to many liturgical
texts without lots  of rehearsal. That seems rather participatory and
welcoming to me, not  obscure nor out of date.

And if it seems strange at first or requires a  bit of listening and
following along before being able to participate, so  do the spoken
bits of liturgy require a bit of observation on the part of  a
newcomer. People can and do learn, and plainchant's learning curve  is
not long, especially with good leadership by a cantor, choir,  and/or
organist (with a light touch).>>>

I agree, though (I think) you are referring to psalm-tone plainchant  here,
rather than more florid compositions from the Liber Usualis.  I  suspect
even the professionals of the Ascension Choir need a run  through or
two for that genre, and that type of plainchant is simply beyond the
congregation.

Some more florid plainchant can be learned by the average person in
the pews over time.  Compare "Missa de Angeles" in TEC '82.

David Strang.