[Magdalen] Palm Sunday procession leaders

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 25 16:07:42 UTC 2015

Is this current use? That was Roman use before the Novus Ordo

Current Roman use has Red (darkish) for Palm Sunday and Good Friday; Purple
for the first 3 days of Holy Week and White for the Mass on Maundy
Thursday. Where there is a celebration of Tenebrae, I think the color is
purple, Good Friday may be red all day. Holy Saturday is purple before the
Vigil ( We had an adaptation of Tenebrae on the Mornings of the Triduum. I
think we did purple on Thursday and Saturday and Red on Good Friday. My
last Roman Rite Church in chicago was a Polish Parish so we included the
blessing of Easter Baskets at the end of Morning Prayer, but a prayer
without holy water with an explanation/ catachesis. It was holdover from
the mid 50's that was still intact in Slav Roman Churches in the 90's.
Byzantine, of course, had the Easter Basket blessing after the Liturgy
(along with SEVERAL other blessings)

Joe