[Magdalen] Good Friday

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Mar 28 03:50:43 UTC 2015

For some years (at least back to the time I worked in Jersey City and commuted
though the WTC), we've gone to the Good Friday service at St Paul's Chapel in
downtown NYC (this is the church that was the staging area and
comfort/counseling center after 9/11).

It's a great service -- relatively short, inclusive language, great hymns (not
found in the hymnal), candles in the sandbox, veneration passing a cross around,
and generally non-traditional. Its one that always touches me spiritually and is
just right for the occasion.

This year -- no Good Friday  service at St Paul's. They lend the church to a
synagogue -- and this year it's Passover.

So -- am looking for something similar in Manhattan. It has to be late enough
that I'll be finished with my chemo at MSK.

But I've made hotel reservations in Manhattan for the weekend, so we can get to
St Bart's on Sunday; I'll do a Library Day on Saturday. Monday night we'll go to
the Market Cultures Group discussion at Fashion Institute --  we'll be
discussing/dissecting a proposed book outline on the history of anti-trust in
the United States, with emphasis on culture and social attitudes. Should be
interesting.

Cheers,
Jim

"The enemy isn’t liberalism;
the enemy isn’t conservatism.
The enemy, is baloney." - Lars Erik Nelson