[Magdalen] Palm Sunday in San Francisco.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Mar 29 05:34:16 UTC 2015

This was posted on the DioBeth List, and I thought it was
interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8OnRP9hUZk

I won't bother with my usual comments, since my views on this
Saint Gregory of Nyssa parish in San Francisco, CA USA
are probably much too well known.

But maybe two comments:

(1) The twirling colorful umbrellas during the Palm Procession
      have been borrowed from the Coptics, who use  them
      ceremonially to keep away flying insects  from the vicinity
      of the altar.

(2)  I know well a Russian Orthodox deacon who has a friend who
      is a Coptic deacon, and they have both  experienced St. Gregory
      of Nyssa's Liturgy first hand.  They  came away offended that
      so many Coptic/Orthodox liturgical  Traditions have been borrowed and
      used completely out of context,.

It is a free world, and there is no such thing as liturgy police.

David Strang.