[Magdalen] 65th Anniversary of the Class of 1950

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:21:38 UTC 2015

Mom had vascular dementia, a subtle breakdown of the brain processes
somewhat similar to Alzheimer's.  I found that in some undefinable ways,
Mom remembered stuff she ought not to have remembered, and other research
I've read confirms to me that memory is a lot more complex than we think.
The point is that we may be well advised to keep stimulating folks who have
lost (so far as we know) the ability to retain memories, and there does
seem to be a different process for storing cognitive memory. I am not
writing of other obvious different types of memory such as coordination and
muscle memory. Oliver Sacks, I believe, has written some very sensitive and
thoughtful stuff on the capacity of a person to store memories even though
science has shown that he no longer can.  So we took Mom out to eat and
drink practically up to the time of her death, and she maintained a
positive attitude in spite of everything else.  I have to believe that even
though she did not recall these pleasant events, something within her
remembered the happiness she experienced.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford