[Magdalen] Busy Triduum

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 31 21:31:46 UTC 2015

On 31/03/2015 19:10, Scott Knitter wrote:
> Thanks to parishioners who have left (temporarily, one hopes) in anger
> over staff changes, the liturgical rota is having to be filled by a
> suddenly reduced group of people. Our saintly head MC is juggling
> twice as many things in addition to guiding those who serve through
> the Holy Week liturgies while keeping up with changes to the same
> (which changes are good ones; Palm Sunday was wonderful and not
> head-spinning). The effect on me is that I have to serve as subdeacon
> at every Triduum liturgy: Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Great Vigil,
> and Easter Day main Mass. While this appeals to my excessive desire to
> feel needed, it'll be busy and distracting, as every liturgy has a
> rehearsal, stuff to remember, and stuff to think ahead about rather
> than focus on what is happening in the moment.

Before Iretired the Vigil was my biggest headache of the year.  You do
it once a year and so I found it hard to enter into as the presding
minister.  I was so concerned with getting it right.  The church of the
parish where I now live is used to having baptism and confirmation at
the Vigil, but not the Eucharist.  I discovered on Sunday that tghe new
Vicar (equivalent to TEC Rector) is including the Eucharist and after
the service I thanked him for doing so, thus completing the rite.

A long-standing member of the congregation who was standing by us
expressed his displeasure with this departure from "tradition" so I
pointed out that it was a return to the long-standing tradition of the
Church that was mentioned in the introduction to the Ash Wednesday
liturgy but he was still not happy.  I hope that Fr Kevin felt my
backing of his decision was helpful.  He is planning a number of
changes, the details of which I do not know, but he has the right to do
so and I will back him even though it looks as if I will be elsewhere
more Sundays in the future.

I already have bookings for a pair of parishes and expect requests from
somewhere else that becomes vacant in May when their Rector heads for
Cyprus.  The supply of reasonably able priests without parochial cure is
diminishing.

Roger