[Magdalen] Willie Nelson

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri May 1 12:25:54 UTC 2015

When I was a student at U of Michigan School of Music, I had occasion to meet Eugene Ormandy. I looked around for him and had to ask someone where he was. They pointed toward a tiny little man I had completely overlooked--at 5'2" or so, he was about my height!  But what a powerhouse!!

On May 1, 2015, at 12:43 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

In a message dated 5/1/2015

I  was surprised
> to see that Willie isn't as tall as I thought he  was..>>>>

About 25 years ago when Ricardo Muti was Director of the
Philadelphia Orchestra, the assistant O/C at the local Episcopal
Procathedral was strongly enamored of Muti.

She saved her shekels and finally made the trip down to
Philly for a performance of the Orchestra.

After her return, we all expected to hear about the trip, and  especially
about the Conductor Muti, but there was nothing.

Finally she was asked about the experience.  Her response:   "He's
a m___t." - a reference to the fact that Muti was a very handsome man
but very short.  OTOH, the assistant O/C is 6' in her stocking feet,  so
short is probably relative.

David Strang.