[Magdalen] Tax Collectors and Sinners

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun May 3 05:46:09 UTC 2015

Actually, I just wanted to get your attention, IRS people.  ;^)

Somebody posted this on Facebook, and I don't understand this story at all:
http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/01/irs-steals-107000-from-convenience-store#.rf3kiy:1UuI

Why is "structuring" in itself illegal, before the IRS changed its
policy?  And is IRS "policy" the law of the land?  The story does
explain what structuring is, that is, deposits under $10K, but with a
convenience store, gasoline, and restaurant, I'd think that that sort of
business would deposit its receipts daily, and that such receipts
wouldn't be anywhere near $10K in a day, anyway.  You surely wouldn't
want to keep that kind of money in the business safe until it piled up
over the $10K?  And even if the IRS had screwed up and seized his bank
account, why wouldn't they just give the money back, or why wouldn't
they have simply frozen it and left it with the bank until he'd proved
he wasn't doing anything illegal?  And why not just call for an audit,
in the first place, if they were suspicious?  None of this makes any
sense to me!

Can either of you explain it?

--
Sibyl Smirl