[Magdalen] PB nominees

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun May 3 19:43:12 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 17:17, Christopher Hart wrote:

> Michael Curry is most certainly an amazing preacher, but how big a part of
> the PB's job is preaching. I heard from someone (don't recall whom and it's
> just hearsay) that he's NOT a really good administrator. I don't get a vote

To what extent is the PB an Administrator? And doesn’t that really depend on the
quality of the support staff?

There certainly are enough CEOs of major corporations who are as dumb as a post,
except when it comes to hiring the best support staff. There have always been
some politicians (particularly members of Congress) who can’t run an office and
don’t speak on anything except off staff written speeches or crib notes.

One can debate the quality of the 815 staff I suppose. Some have wanted to move
it out of NYC "because the staff would improve (if we paid people far less less
elsewhere", and as we know, sometimes it take years to implement the will of the
General Convention (remember the 2 1/2 year project to come up with a couple of
TV ads that anyone else would have done in a week? <g>).

If those are the kinds of administrative-related tasks that the PB needs to
immersed in, would you call +KJS a failure?

And while we're at it, there are an awful lot of bishops in TEC who, when it
comes down to evaluating their administrative skills, we might characterize them
as persons whose "gifts are elsewhere."

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie