[Magdalen] TECnical question

Ferdinand von Prondzynski (sms) f.von-prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Mon May 4 13:44:18 UTC 2015

Jim Guthrie wrote:

>I think it's better than the historic acronym -- PE or PEC as in
>"Protestant
>Episcopal Church." So there's certainly historical precedent.  And the
>acronym
>is rarely -- if ever -- used by non TEC people  or in news items or other
>communications meant for general public consumption.

I guess I need to try to explain why I find it wholly irritating - as I
do. I must say that in this, as in so many other things, I really
appreciate the approach of Anglicans Online.

First, I dislike acronyms more generally. Acronyms are, amongst other
things, a way of sustaining a protected community of insiders, who have
the advantage over those who stumble upon their conversations and have no
idea what they are talking about. Universities are amongst the very very
worst offenders - I wrote about that once, here:

universitydiary.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/linguistic-fog-in-the-academy/

Churches are beginning to get into this game, and as far as I can tell the
US Episcopal Church is amongst the more serious offenders. My strong
advice is to stop it.

Secondly, I particularly dislike THIS acronym. What are you supposed to
say in speech? "Teck”? Does that sound like a church? Absolutely not.
We’re only a minute away from US episcopalians calling themselves Teckies,
I suspect. It is not only an unattractive acronym, it’s a very non-church
one.

Thirdly, the acronym has a vaguely annoying implication for non-Americans,
and maybe for Scots in particular. The US Episcopal Church is not THE
Episcopal Church, it is AN Episcopal Church. The acronym suggests a degree
of disinterest in, or a claim of superiority over, wider Anglicanism.

There, I’ve got all of that off my chest. As ever, my apologies for
causing any offence.

Best wishes

Ferdinand

Robert Gordon University is the top university for graduate jobs in  the UK HESA 4 July 2013

Robert Gordon University, a Scottish charity registered under charity number SC 013781.

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Robert Gordon University.  Thank you.