[Magdalen] TECnical question

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 4 14:45:57 UTC 2015

From: Ferdinand von Prondzynski (sms)

>Churches are beginning to get into this game, and as far as I can tell the
>US Episcopal Church is amongst the more serious offenders. My strong
>advice is to stop it.

Scotland is a long way away,, but you should know that unlike TEC, some American
Churches use their acronym widely -- and have for years -- UMC (United Methodist
Church) and even our partners ELCA to differentiate from another acronym, LCMS
(Misery Synod Lutherans). The Presbyterians used PCC and PC (USA) for years to
differentiate between the remnant of the pro slavery Presbyterians and the
abolitionist Presbyterians.  Then there's the SBC, using the acronym in many
places to differentiate themselves from "those other non-Bible Believing
Baptists" who AFAIK, use no acronyms in public <g>..
And then there's are the Mormons who’ve used LDS for years. There are others as
well.

That anglicans online doesn’t use it fits with the general scheme -- we don’t
use it outside the family.

You won't see signs saying "TEC Welcomes You" but you will see signs like
"Foundry UMC"

Of course, then there are the BBC comedy shows that for years have made fun of
all things "CofE." <g>

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

PS I had forgotten about the unfortunate ECUSA wchih succeed PE and PEC -- in
it's short history, people started  pronouncing it as a single word, which was
really terrible IMNSHO.