[Magdalen] Youth Sunday

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 4 15:15:48 UTC 2015

From: Lynn Ronkainen

>Jim, I find it hard to believe that RC 'refugees' are driving any kind of
>intense Marion observances unless they are joining an already 'high' church, or
>perhaps very ethnically oriented (thinking Hispanic countries or Vietnamese).

Having fought that war at Christ Church Bay Ridge, I beg to differ. I think
people who come from other churches often have a hankering to bring with them
the things they liked while opposing those things they don’t like.

You'd be hard-pressed to persuade people who left the RCC for disciplinary
reasons (remarriage after divorce, contraception, LGBT issues, young boys etc.
thinking that the **theology** of Protestantism has anything to do with. I
realize those of us who are or have been immersed in matters of theology might
have trouble understanding those whose interests are far more prosaic.

And you can easily prove that RCCers CAN sing simply by using the tune for
"Daily Daily" when belting out "Ye Who Claim the Faith of Jesus" (208-209 H82)
or insert a **definitely** not Protestant (or TEC!) hymn like, "Immaculate Mary
thy praises we sing/You reign now in heaven with Jesus our King."

Even RCCers might blanch at the theology of Co-Redemptrix but that doesn’t mean
they won’t bring their favorite hymn(s) with them.

First thing you know you're added Assumption and Immaculate Conception and, yes,
the May Crowning to the calendar. And not just parishes with A-C inclinations.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

Cheers,
Jim