[Magdalen] Broken Leg Trip

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 4 15:33:18 UTC 2015

It's of to Harrisburg tomorrow for three days of coal company research at the
Pennsylvania State Archives in Harrisburg.

This being Scranton, we have to stay between Tuesday and Saturday because there
are no buses timed to allow a full day in the state capitol.

The ticket clerk at the Bus Terminal recently told me that it's cheaper to
purchase a round trip to Sunbury than Harrisburg even though one needs to change
buses in Harrisburg. That's left over from a tariff from when there was a direct
bus to Sunbury, so this may be a bus-type Broken Leg trip for us.

It always pays to check for such when flying too -- as long as there's no
luggage to check, sometimes fares via a connecting city from the city you really
want to get to is cheaper than the direct fare. For example, during the years I
was traveling around the country a lot, my travel agent found a  Los Angles to
Grand Rapids airline ticket for $168 (change planes in Chicago) when the
LA-Chicago ticket was $308. One simply "misses the plane" at O'Hare and thus
saving $140.

Airlines hate it when people discover these "deals."

Cheers,
Jim

"The enemy isn’t liberalism;
the enemy isn’t conservatism.
The enemy, is baloney." - Lars Erik Nelson