[Magdalen] Youth Sunday

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Mon May 4 17:37:46 UTC 2015

Here is something interesting from the Roman Catholic Perspective. In the
1960's now Blessed Paul VI issued a Motu Proprio Marialis Cultus in which
he extolled devotion to the Theotokos/BVM. He encouraged May devotions and
May crownings but  explicitly FORBADE including the May Crowning Ceremony
in the Liturgy of the Day. He strictlydiscouraged the combining of popular
devotions with the Mass. Now the Crowning of an Image of the BVM IS a Rite
in the Old Pontificale, but I believe that was to be a one time event for a
major shrine or for the reproduction of a major statue or icon, not to be
done every year.

There has always been the tension between popular devotion and liturgy in
the RC. We were a relatively correct liturgical Roman Parish, but the May
Crowning was part of the regular Sunday Mass. Some years back; the May
Crowning was on a Sunday afternoon at the Church. In Catholic schools,
there would be an official May Crowning; again strictly devotional. IN my
childhood, of course the advantage was that these ceremonies could be
performed in the Vernacular. so for the Pontifical Crownings lets say of a
Mariazell  people like Mozart wrote Litanies of Our Lady or a Regina Coeli.