[Magdalen] Acronyms and initialisms (was TECnical question)

F von Prondzynski F.von-Prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Mon May 4 18:22:51 UTC 2015

Kristin, I’m afraid your beloved is right. The two are separate concepts,
though increasingly people use the word ‘acronym’ as if it included
initialisms also. The difference between the two is that an acronym is
used in speech as a word, rather than a set of letters. NASA, as was
mentioned, is an example. But perhaps an even more interesting example is
‘radar’, which is in fact an acronym derived from ‘radio detection and
ranging’.

The latter example highlights another difference between acronyms and
initialisms. An acronym consists of initial letters or other parts of the
words referenced, whereas an initialism only uses the initial letters.

Ferdinand