[Magdalen] Acronyms and initialisms (was TECnical question)

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 4 19:21:40 UTC 2015

>> On Mon, May 4, 2015, at 01:00 PM, Mahoney, W. Michael wrote:
>> Note that some acronyms get "spelled out"; OMB and DoD are examples.
>> Others get pronounced as words; NASA is example.  My guess is that if
>> "TEC"
>> ever came into common usage (and I hope it doesn't), it would be spelled
>> out.

Considering that people speak of BART in San Francisco, the MTA in NY and
elsewhere, the MBTA in Boston, MARTA in Atlanta, SEPTA in Philadelphia and many
have insurance through GEICO or the Triple A, not to mention things like RICO
Laws, what makes a church so special in American Culture that it can’t use an
acronym --even internally?

Cheers,
Jim