[Magdalen] TECnical question

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Mon May 4 22:22:14 UTC 2015

I suspect that in several states the state university is referred to as
"the university".  The University of Texas at Austin has certainly claimed that reference for many years, much to the annoyance of other universities in the Lone Star State, most particularly Texas A & M (officially Texas Agricultural and Mechanical University.  I myself wonder whether the modifiers "agricultural" and "mechanical" undercut the "universe" in "university," but then I am a pedant and a graduate and former faculty member of "the university."

A few miles up I-35 in Waco, there is a Southern Baptist institution called "Baylor University."  Some you have no doubt heard of it.  Many Baylor alumni/-ae adorn their car bumpers with a sticker tastefully printed in the Baylor school colors (gold and green) to read "Thee University."