[Magdalen] Baptism refused...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon May 4 23:15:37 UTC 2015

On 04/05/2015 23:59, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> Jim H>.... I think a wealthy member or two said they’d pull their
> financial support...
>
> This does not need any more context than 'church' to really, REALLY
> irritate me.  It is more offensive to me when church folk do this than
> what the priest/dean has done in this situation. One may be a personal
> fault(the subject line), the other is a sin going both ways, IMO. Huge
> sigh.

I think if the Dean did this because of pressure from a congregant then
the fault lies with him.  He should have firmly pointed out the Church's
call to welcome children and not put obstacles in their way.  I know
Scott (although not a priest let alone Rector) has been subject to
similar pressure to conform to a wealthy supporter's ways but
faithfulness to the Gospel demands resistance to the ways of the world,
even when it costs.

Roger