[Magdalen] 5 Easter sermon, was Baptism refused...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat May 9 16:53:34 UTC 2015

In a message dated 5/9/2015 8:47:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
eleanor.braun at gmail.com writes:

the  history of slavery in the North, starting with the earliest days of
the
Massachusetts colony. >>>

I'm stunned to read about slavery existing in Minnesota even after  slavery
was banned in 1820.  The rule, handed down by no less than the  US
Supreme Court was that even though slaves were "bought" elsewhere,
they were property of their "owners" and remained so, even when they
moved to antislavery states.

Since one set of great-great grandparents was born in VA and NC,  I
presume they were familiar with slavery, but there is no history of
their having slaves after they homesteaded in Minnesota about 1840.

On the Strang side, they were all New York Staters, and I presume
therefore slave-less, but who knows?

http://www.historicfortsnelling.org/history/slavery-fort-snelling

David Strang.