[Magdalen] trying to sell my house

Susan Hutchinson shutchinsonca at gmail.com
Sat May 9 18:03:30 UTC 2015

My sister owned a Victorian house in Peterborough ON, not far from where Marion is. Unlike many of the basements on her street, the Victorian dirt floor had not been changed to concrete and the washer and dryer were stacked in an area at the top of the basement stairs. The property banked steeply at the back so they were effectively at the bottom of ridge. And there was an underground stream running under the property.

Then the river flooded after some extraordinarily wet weather. Much of downtown Peterborough and all of their street was flooded. Developed basements with concrete floors found themselves floating for weeks as the water was pumped out and furniture was piled on the street. My sister and her husband were surprised to come home to a damp but water free basement. The water had simply flowed through and drained naturally. A few small boxes were wet and had to be tossed. But that was it.

Not so crazy those Victorian house builders!

blessings
Susan

On 2015-05-09, at 8:35 AM, Charles Wohlers wrote:

> Indeed good luck to them. Our Victorian basement has been modernized - part of it it has a cement floor! The rest is the more normal dirt, and the older part is just a crawl space. Basements are for the furnace and storing your canned goods. Nothing else.    :-)

Susan Hutchinson
shutchinsonca at gmail.com