[Magdalen] Rowing

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat May 9 23:23:02 UTC 2015

I was helping on the bank at the Bedford Amateur Regatta today which
attracts crews from various places around the country.  I look at the
names of the clubs they are from and now recognize a lot of them but
today there was a new one to me - SASRU.  I discovered it stands for
South African Schools Rowing Union and crews that had won compettitions
there had come over to this country to row and compete.

Apparently they loved it as there is no river racing in South Africa and
here was an opportunity to race where the spectators and supporters were
relatively close to the action.  (The river in Bedford is partocularly
good for that.)  A number of the crews got to the finals in their events
and one won so they have good cause to celebrate when they go home tomorrow.

Roger