[Magdalen] Decline of U.S Christianity

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Wed May 13 23:34:25 UTC 2015

Jim

How about the Pentecostals? Does this also affect them negatively or are
they growing?

I ask this because I believe they are a significant force in South America
and I was wondering how they are faring in the USA.

How are the figures for TEC?

Not that I am crowing because in the UK our figures are poor too and also a
 good friend of mine who is an Area Dean tells me that  the Swiss Reformed
Church is feeling the pinch too as it affects Kirchensteuer.

Blessings
Martin

jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

>From the  NY Times:

The Christian share of adults in the United States has  declined sharply
since
2007, affecting nearly all major Christian  traditions and denominations,
and
crossing age, race and region, according  to an extensive survey by the Pew
Research Center.

Seventy-one  percent of American adults were Christian in 2014, the lowest
estimate  from any sizable survey to date, and a decline of 5 million
adults and
8  percentage points since a similar Pew survey in 2007.

The Christian  share of the population has been declining for decades, but
the
pace  rivals or even exceeds that of the country’s most significant
demographic
trends, like the growing Hispanic population. It is not confined to the
coasts,
the cities, the young or the other liberal and more secular groups  where
one
might expect it, either.

The decline has been propelled  in part by generational change, as
relatively
non-Christian millennials  reach adulthood and gradually replace the oldest
and
most Christian  adults. But it is also because many former Christians, of
all
ages, have  joined the rapidly growing ranks of the religiously
unaffiliated or
“nones”: a broad category including atheists, agnostics and those who
adhere to
“nothing in particular.”

Read it all  at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/upshot/big-drop-in-share-of-americans-call
ing-themselves-christian.html

As  for Young people . . . well"Nothing" seems to be the faith of choice of
an
increasing number. See the sidebar to the above  at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/upshot/the-rise-of-young-americans-who-don
t-believe-in-god.html

I've  been saying this for awhile now. I've come to the conclusion that one
of
the biggest problems is that churches have become an hour of nostalgiac
retreat
for boomers and their parents, rather than continue to move  forward (while
maintaining "We're doing what Christians have done for  2,000 years." of
course
<g>)

Cheers,
Jim

"The enemy  isn’t liberalism;
the enemy isn’t conservatism.
The enemy, is baloney."  - Lars Erik Nelson