[Magdalen] Borst joke ever

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri May 15 22:00:53 UTC 2015

New York Magazine has a brief article, "The Joke that Changed my Life"

And it leads off with a joke of a very obscure type.

As a matter of fact, the teller cannot remember the joke -- only the punch
line.

It reminded me of a joke that was running around when I was in either
middle school or junior high school, depending on how you refer to those
years.

One person would tell a story about a group of penguins.  It could be long,
which, for this age group, meant that it went on for more than one
sentence, and had more than five words, but I digress.

At the end, the teller would say, "And then the other penguin shouted,
'Look! There's a radio!"

The entire group then burst into laughter -- except for one guy who was not
in on the joke.  He was the only one who did not realize that the joke was
utterly pointless.  I was on both sides of the joke.

Finally the group let him in on the fact that the joke had no meaning, and
then he joined the rest in inflicting it upon some other luck-less
seventh-grader.

It's a wonder we survived.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford