[Magdalen] Something cringe worthy...

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Thu May 21 23:38:22 UTC 2015

Deacon Jon, forgive me, but I think you are way overreacting to "perform."  Does "The surgeon performed the operation..." connote that the surgeon's a show-off?  (Never mind the nurse jokes about M-Deity surgeons, I've heard 'em all and so have you.)  Does "The priest performed the ablutions...." connote ostentation?  IMO the word "perform" in some contexts just means "do."  That said, I don't suggest that you SHOULD use "perform" in those "do" contexts, only that you needn't assume that those who do mean "perform" as "put on a show."

And, dear brother, I don't know anybody who's more entitled to the occasional overreaction that you.

The peace of the Lord be always with you!

Don in Austin