[Magdalen] Ireland

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 25 23:45:52 UTC 2015

>Yes, I agree. We (as an example) have never wished to marry (yea,
>e'en after forty-nine years together), agreeing that, even though

Much of the discussion fails to recognize that it all depends -- depends on jobs
and income, depends on the desire to have kids, depends on many civil things
that are irrelevant to church of any kind, though some, like the RC's have tried
to adopt the policy "Those civil things belong to US because WE determine who
gets married."

It's a goofy argument -- one that hasn’t been relevant in the United States in
about a hundred years.

It should also be noted that in the 18th and 19th Century in North America,
church or church-approved weddings were in the minority by far -- the majority
of marriages in the U.S. were "Common Law" until the 1920s, at least -- eclipsed
by immediate government/civil recognition of the knot was tied formally, rather
than waiting some years and going through a lot of legal hassle.

Have no idea how things worked in other countries.

But I hasten to add that with the number of churches now recognizing and
celebrating same sex marriages,  it has become positively un-American of the
Catholic Bishops and Conservative Evangelicals to demand government enforce
THEIR teaching against other denominations.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie