[Magdalen] Ireland

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:51:52 UTC 2015

I am remembering that, in rural Nova Scotia, a couple COULD
NOT marry without the parish priest's permission. I don't think
there was any provision for civil marriage. The story told to me was
that the parish priest, who heard confessions, actually knew who
was conceived, um, extramaritally and so took the responsibility
for prohibiting the marriages of people who were actually
first cousins or even half-siblings.

And that brings me to the story of why I was never RC.
My father was the eighth of nine children. His younger
brother was named Roger. One day the parish priest
dropped by for a chat with my grandparents.

"It's been three years since we've had a Baptism from this
house. Is there a problem?"

My grandmother turned to my grandfather and said "We
left Canada to get away from this ****."

That's what they told me, anyway.
-M