[Magdalen] Fox screams

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Thu May 28 19:33:08 UTC 2015

On 5/28/15 1:09 PM, Marion Thompson wrote:
> I have heard foxes barking, in England, lots.  Rabbits scream horribly!

That is for sure! I had heard that scream, seldom, all my life, but
never knew what it was, even though I have lots of wild rabbits, and
coyote and owl predators, in my yard and especially my back lot.  Then
my daughter started up with a rabbit project for 4H, with big, fat New
Zealand White bunnies.  Her prize buck managed to break out of his cage
one day, and I spotted him happily munching sweet clover in the
barnyard, devoid of camouflage or caution.  He had zero experience with
predators, of course, and didn't recognize this predator as anything
dangerous (if he had any concept at all of "danger", which I sort of
doubt), because I'd been within a few inches of him, including handling
him, for all his experience.  I grabbed him, hard and fast, and probably
from being startled he let out this horrible shriek, so high in pitch as
to be almost a "whistle"-- I came close to dropping him!  I suppose that
I don't hear it often from the wild ones because the coyotes and owls do
quick kills, unless they're clumsy: the bunnies are dead before they
know they've been grabbed.  I had no intention of killing him, of
course, just getting him back into his cage.   That particular occasion
was the only time I'd heard it from a domesticated one.  But after that,
I did know what was making it.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net