[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Sat May 30 01:59:21 UTC 2015

I left high school early (with completed credits, I didn't drop out) and
went to work as a waitress. Left my parents' home to pursue my first
um adult relationship. Waitressing is hard work, even when you're
seventeen or eighteen years old, dirty exhausting demeaning work.
If I'd ever wondered about the value of furthering my education, all
doubts were dispelled before the semester began.

Back then, in the days before birth control was available to young
unmarried women, pregnancy-and-marriage was the fate most of
my childhood friends embraced. And college became impossible.
That's changed, of course.
-M