[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

L Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sat May 30 19:26:55 UTC 2015

finally  found the origin of this thread... and responding to Roger's
question about why/how?

I think that post WW2 when the government educated so many GIs with the
GIBill and changed the course of their world and our country, the idea of
college for all became a goal. Never completely realized or necessary, IMO,
but by the 1960s college *logically* followed high school probably because
the simple formula - graduate, graduate with job, marry was common and
possible for many graduates then (even if the initial majority may have
been mostly men). No need for any decisions about what 'kids' would 'do' if
they didn't go off to college (if college was a parental mandate) and the
road to and through college was paved with gold (in theory). Then by 1960
Vietnam was upon us and only a few years later a draft with broad and wide
deferments - college attendance, having children or one on the way (know
many older siblings of my childhood friends who made this happen) and
seminary to name only a few. For men, college during 'the draft' had the
benefit of deferrment+good job. Even when the basic college attendance
deferment was waning, if one was getting a degree in education, the
deferment was still solidly in place. Most college grads during those early
deferment years ended up with jobs and only served if they enlisted. I
still ponder the net result of those who went into teaching and seminaries
of all kinds just to avoid the draft... and those who graduated and went on
to run the major business of the country (having been deferred)  but I
digress. (when the draft lottery was instituted in 1970 the playing ground
was leveled and that also helped turn the tide against the war).  Those who
fell into this formula of immediate post high school college begat kids
whose parents figured 'the formula' worked.  America does seem to be
generally a 'let's get to the point' kind of society which would see a
formula that seemed to work repeated, like father (and maybe mother), like
son and daughter kind of thing. The concept of gap years exists in places
where social mores are different and populations that are also smaller than
the USA. The open-mindedness of the freedom to let one's kids just 'take
off' and often fund themselves is not a part of any majority of thought in
the varying social strata of the US, IMO.

an aside...Then there is the US slipping into the 'we must give all our
kids a college education' slope... which has begotten the predatory nature
of student loans, again my opinion of student loans in at least the last
10-15 years. The student loan system is broken from the top down and I
don't see any good end to it. My generation 'creatively cheated' when they
used bankruptcy to erase their loans - shame on those who did that and went
on to live lives of luxury...the government legislated - never again, a
good thing.  Today all manner of educational situations can participate in
the facilitating of student loans for their students and that has
contributed the most damage, also my opinion. Many of the institutions
would not even exist without their loan burdened students. I'm not sure if
government oversight was lax or just turned a blind eye to the potential
catastrophe that has erupted... just another path on the college journey
these days.  The engineer who graduates with a $60,000. debt burden  may be
able to climb out of that debt, but I'm pretty sure that the students that
borrowed tuition, books, fees and living expenses to get a 2 or 4 year
degree in basket weaving, or went to one of those hyped for-profit business
schools where you get out in 12 months, with a 'guaranteed job' and the
tuition is $50,000. are the bulk of those really struggling with loan debt.
Sigh.

Lynn

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com

--