[Magdalen] She's leaving church

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Sun May 31 15:39:02 UTC 2015

Dear pubbies,

Last night I posted this on Facebook:

"I think I am done with religion.  Not with God, of course, never with God.  But with church (except for friends), with intellectual theology, and with the Future of Christianity, I think I am done."

I realized that my church (not necessarily the individuals but the church-geist) promulgates the dysfunctional patterns that mis-shaped my own soul's formation:  triangulation, resentments, scapegoating, psychopatholigizing, the "spiritual bypass".  This has become blindingly obvious in the last few weeks.  BTDT, not doing that again.

I need to get out for my soul's safety and well-being, just as 40-years ago I had to turn my back on my family and walk away, for my own survival.  I am, in a sense, grieving history as I repeat the most health-bound decision I could make.

I also find myself increasingly irritated by church's narcissism, whether it's the idolatry of liturgy or preoccupation with the past or earnest navel-gazing. Fewgawdsake, church, get over yourself!

I need to find God.  And right now, I am living in Psalm 131.

I'll show up on the odd Sunday morning for social reasons, but my soul has left the building,

Joining the company of the "dones",
Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain